Beta Marine – Volvo Powered Generating Sets
Our standard specification includes marine heat exchanger cooled Volvo engines with fully classifiable specification. Keel / hull cooling is also available – prices on request (radiator cooled engines are also available). We include Mecc Alte ‘marine rated’ alternators. Newage Stamford (now Cummins Generator Technologies) alternators are offered as an option.
|kVA Rating 3 Phase @ 0.8 PF 50 Hz - 1,500 rpm||kVA Rating 3 Phase @ 0.8 PF 60 Hz - 1,800 rpm||Generating Set Model||Cooling Method|
|88||93||D5A T||Heat Exchanger Cooling|
|83||85||D5A T||Radiator Cooling|
|106||116||D5A TA||Heat Exchanger Cooling|
|134||142||D7A T||Heat Exchanger Cooling|
|130||134||D7A T||Radiator Cooling|
|159||170||D7A TA||Heat Exchanger Cooling|
|277||308||D9||Heat Exchanger Cooling|
|352||423||D13||Heat Exchanger Cooling|
|423||470||D13||Heat Exchanger Cooling|
|530||588||D16||Heat Exchanger Cooling|
Included in the Generating Set Price
Fully classifiable specification suitable for survey including, battery charging alternator (see note1 below), duplex change over fuel filters and flexible fuel connections for inlet and return, fire retardant and ‘type’ approved. Double walled (sheathed) fuel injector pipes on D5 & D7 (these are not required on the other models with unit injectors). Ratings are based on Class ‘F’ temperature rise in marine ambient engine room temperatures of 45°C. Note: 1 Battery charging alternator not available on D5, D7 and D16 radiator cooled builds.
Beta Marine Generating Sets – Specifications
Beta Marine – Marine Generating Set having a continuous rated “Prime” power output, 3 phase, at 0.8P.F., with a capability for 10% overload in accordance with ISO standard; designed, built and tested by Beta Marine Limited, each comprising:
- Powered by a Volvo marine specification heat exchanger cooled auxiliary diesel engine and rated for continuous operation in accordance with ISO 3046. Fully classifiable specification suitable for survey including: duplex change over fuel filters and flexible fuel connections for inlet and return (fire retardant and ‘type’ approved). Double walled/sheathed fuel injection pipes on D5 and D7, not required on larger engines as they have unit injectors.
- Heat exchanger cooling complete with cupro-nickel tube bundle, with fresh and sea water pumps, including lubricating oil cooler and sump drain pump.
- Water cooled exhaust manifolds with exhaust elbow and flexible bellows section.
- 24 Volt electric start system with battery charging alternator1 and stop solenoid valve. Marine type insulated return. (Note: 1 Battery charging alternator not available on D5, D7 and D16 radiator cooled builds).
- Combined start, alarm and shutdown panel engine mounted and pre-wired to engine components.
D5 and D7 Models: Keystart module with analogue gauges for lube oil pressure, coolant temperature and engine speed with hour meter and alarm indication and combined protection circuits.
- D9, D13 and D16 Models: Marine approved modular engine controller to monitor engine parameters with start and stop pushbuttons. A screen enables direct readings of oil pressure and jacket water temperature and provides engine status information. The module provides auto shutdown on fault and gives possibility for signal outputs to ship system.
- Speed governor to control engine speed to the requirements of ISO 3046 for diesel generating set.
- Volvo standard combustion air filters.
- Mecc Alte alternator marine rated to ISO standard, 4 pole, brushless, self ventilated with IP 22 protection, single bearing construction. The generator is self regulating and self excited and is complete with terminal box and automatic voltage regulator, fully suitable for use in engine room environments of 45°C. Frame sizes may alter to meet required voltage / frequency. Efficiencies may vary.
- Engine and generator are close coupled together and mounted on a combined welded steel baseplate.
- Marine failsafe anti-vibration mountings to isolate the set from the ships seating.
- Paint: Volvo colours.
- Each generating set is “full load” tested in accordance with our quality document QA001. On turbocharged engines load acceptance is limited in accordance with ISO 3046.
Optional Extras and Alternative Equipment
- Prepared for parallel operation.
- 2 bearing generator with flexible coupling drive (where not included as standard).
- Generators by alternative makers such as Newage Stamford (now Cummins Generator Technologies).
- Starter batteries.
- Alternative means of start.
- Extra alarm and protection switches necessary for ‘unmanned’ specifications such as UMS.
- Extended / alternative control panels.
- Genset controller in place of standard combined engine mounted panel. Genset controllers can be mounted or supplied loose for switchboard installation.
- Mains output panels and or marine switchboards built to class if required.
- Prepared for keel cooling.
- Dry acoustic or spark arrestor exhaust silencers.
- Fuel/water separators.
- Anti condensation heaters for generator and/or block heater for engine.
- Torsional vibration analysis suitable for presentation to class society (classifiable specification only).
- Classification society surveys (classifiable specification only).
All goods are offered and supplied in accordance with our ‘General Terms of Tender and Sale‘.
Options and Accessories
- 24 Volt Lead-acid battery (2 blocks) with links and battery cables mounted in tray on base plate. Batteries for export are supplied “dry charged” for filling by customer on site.
- Jacket water heater (1 phase AC).
- Anti condensation heater in generator (1 phase AC).
- 2 bearing generator with flexible coupling drive for ‘D5 & D7’ models (included on larger models).
- Torsional calculations for submission to class, excluding the fees charged by class which, if applicable, will be passed on at cost.
- Duplex change-over lube oil filters, classifiable: Already included as standard on D9 and D16 engines. Duplex change-over lube oil filters are required by some class societies on certain applications.
- Air motor starting (in lieu of standard electric) including, start valve and flexible air inlet hose (approved type). The starter accepts air at 10 Bar maximum. Price includes an air pressure reducing valve from ships line pressure.
- Alarm switches. Additional engine sensors to meet UMS, EO, AUT-MS requirements including ‘type’ approved protection switches for lube oil pressure and coolant temperature, lube oil temperature switch, coolant level switch.
- Parallel operation: addition of electronic governor (where not already fitted) and governor controller programmed to accept speed raise and lower signals plus droop circuit CT in alternator. Manual voltage trimpot for generator, supplied loose.
- Automatic control panel for remote control either by customers mains failure control or remote volt free contact(s), in lieu of standard panel. Modular controller arrangement similar to that already included on D9, D13 and D16 models.
- Automatic control panel with genset controller: for remote control and parallel operation with inputs for speed adjustment and for AC voltage and amps. Sensing for volts and amps via fuses and CT’s installed in generator terminal box. Price includes programming, set up and testing. Based on marine approved ComAp InteliGen management system. AC output switching / switchboard not included. Other makes and options can be offered on application.
- Exhaust emission certification. EIAPP certification together with technical file is available for engines of 130kW output and above (D7ATA and above).
- Exhaust silencers on flanged type – includes joints and mating flanges (but not fixings):
- Dry type: 3 inch flanged, 4 inch flanged or 6 inch flanged.
- Spark arrestor type: 3 inch flanged, 4 inch flanged, 5 inch flanged or 8 inch flanged.
- Export packing and delivery FOB UK Port.
- Class survey fees, for guidance allow 15%, (25% for Lloyds Register). Including necessary approved shafts and class tests with witness tests by classification surveyor. Please ask for a quotation as fees vary due to requirements, class society and rating. Any additional charges for approvals of drawings or calculations by class society will be passed on ‘at-cost’.